Vice President, Research & Development
Santa Barbara, California
Wyatt Technology is the leader in the research, development and commercialization of instruments used by biopharmaceutical, chemical, academic and government research laboratories throughout the world. Our instruments measure many properties of liquid-borne molecules and nanoparticles that go into life-enhancing vaccines, gene therapies and anti-cancer drugs.
We are looking for a Vice President of Research & Development to lead our team of scientists and engineers to create new, high value-added products for macromolecular characterization to ensure that we remain the undisputed leader in our industry.
As a Vice President of Research & Development, you will play a leadership role in partnering with other leaders across the organization to optimize the value of our current and future products and technologies, in alignment with brand and customer demand.
The position requires strong analytical skills, the ability to translate strategic vision into tactical action, synthesize complex issues into actionable solutions, identify the highest impact ideas and plans and focus efforts in a cross-functional team and communicate recommendations effectively to senior executives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Demonstrate creative and innovative problem solving.
- Formulate and lead roadmap strategy for new and emerging technologies that enable company objectives.
- Drive R&D aspects of Intellectual Property (IP) to ensure creation and protection of new IP.
- Create best practices for R&D processes and methodologies, ensuring consistent application and continuous improvement across all aspects of R&D product life cycles.
- Budget planning and control for R&D team.
- Continuous improvement of R&D processes and documentation to better meet required timelines.
- Mentor, guide and coach direct reports in order to expand their capabilities and build knowledge and technological depth within the organization.
- Be able to lead a team of highly driven, self-motivated people in manner to achieve a high level of output.
- Ensure that training, coaching and mentoring programs are developed, implemented and effective for all levels of research & development staff.
- Selects, develops, and evaluates personnel to ensure the efficient operation of the function.
- Conduct performance reviews to guide performance management and employee development efforts and manage toward departmental goals.
- Ability to direct technical research and product development for production applications encompassing multiple engineering disciplines.
- Ability to communicate vision and inspire team to deliver and execute a desired strategy.
- Strong commercial awareness as well as a strong understanding of life science instrumentation.
- Keen knowledge of modern optical, electronic, computational, and fluidic technologies
- Demonstrated ability to successfully lead complex technology development projects while managing to budget.
- Proven ability to deliver results
- Must possess exceptional communication skills, both written and oral. Superior interpersonal skills.
- Master’s degree in a technical discipline such as Physics, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or Math; PhD preferred.
- 10+ years of working experience in an innovative science/technology environment
- 5+ years of senior leadership experience
A few of the perks
You will be working in a family-owned business alongside a great team of engineers, chemists, physicists, and researchers on tools with a direct and positive impact in the world. You’ll also receive:
- A competitive salary and benefits, including medical, dental, long/short term disability, 401k, life insurance, 3+ weeks of PTO and a profit-sharing incentive program.
- The ability to work on scientific instruments which are at the cutting (sometimes the bleeding) edge of what is possible.
- The trust and freedom to build amazing things, without an army of corporate overlords dictating technology choices.
- The convenience, weather, and lifestyle of Santa Barbara, CA.
And in case you didn’t know …
We make the best light scattering instruments anywhere.
We are consistently rated one of the best places to work for scientists.
We are dog-friendly.